Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Photography

Okay, this is not baby-related at all, but I wanted to write about something that is exciting, yet frustrating to me all at the same time. I actually have a hobby! After all of these years, I have a hobby! I know it probably sounds stupid to some people, but I've never really gotten into anything like this before. Years ago, I was a serious book reader, but I also worked in a book store for 6 1/2 years after high school, so I heard about all the great stories and wanted to read the books. I've never been much of a shopper nor do I have to have all the newest trends, cars, electronics, etc. I love to buy things for others, but could easily go a year without buying anything for myself. I'm just not a shopper. I've always been happy just being with my family and watching a few weekly TV shows. However, now I love PHOTOGRAPHY!!! I love reading about the different techniques...especially macro photography and light drawing. I just attempted light drawing, as you can see. I don't have a macro lens and they are super expensive, so that will have to wait for a very long while, but I'm gonna try some more light drawing this weekend...or before! I love my camera (Nikon D80) and hope to be getting a new lens soon (x-mas maybe???). The frustration is that I don't know how to do all the things I read about...all the awesome techniques. I'm still learning and have never had a class on it, but wish it all came to me faster...by osmosis would be nice! Quite a few years ago when I was in high school, I was in a class where we developed the pictures for the school newspaper, we did all the layout, printed the newspapers, collated them and finally sold them in homeroom. I remember I loved seeing the photos come to life as I was developing them...I loved the technical part of that, but back then was afraid I would break the camera and would have my school partner get the film out (yes, I was and still am a nerd). I wish I had not been so afraid of the camera back then...I wish I had taken the time to learn photography or take a class on it then so I would be good at it now. I wish I had gotten serious about it back then. My wonderfully nerdy hubby bought me this camera and it's the best gift he's ever surprised me with. Now I just need to find more time to take more pictures, experiment more...it's not always easy with a toddler. Here are a few of the light drawings I did. Give me time...they "could" get better.

1 comment:

CindyCinlou said...

I think you are a great photographer! I love to take pictures but they never come out very good.